Sunday, November 21, 2010

Small, But Good Things

* Disclaimer: This is unabashedly corny*

A lot has occurred since the last time I wrote here, though it only has been four months. Those that know me well know I live a full life that is relatively dramaless. Under a series of unfortunate circumstances, my life has suddenly been muddled with drama. At first, I was not handling it well, but I have reached a new perspective.

My life is not about what other people say of me, especially people who are speaking out of anger or perceived injustice. People who truly know me know who I am, and, more importantly, I know who I am. I have never been someone who struggled to realize her identity, nor have I lacked purpose or focus. I am here to be a positive influence, to help whoever I encounter in whichever way I can. Not to sound too cliche or fluffy, it's truly what I want. Whether it be in just providing a friendly face to a stranger, teaching children a new concept in a way that makes them truly learn it and be delighted in its application, or being an ear to hear what needs to be said, that's what I want to be.

I have become more and more aware of what a large impact small things can have on everyday life. Much like the butterfly effect (but a little less intense), one person's action, however small and meaningless it may seem, can have a great effect on another person. In 2006 (Wow! That's four whole years ago!), my friend challenged me to journal everyday something positive that happens, that brings joy. Looking back at this chronicle, I see that most of the things I list are small: an email from a friend, a nice cashier, a hug from an unexpected hugger, a child showing sudden understanding of a difficult vocabulary word, a hike with a visiting friend, a compliment, a shared joke, a truth revealed.

Here's my challenge for all of you out there in Blogworld:

First, don't be afraid to be the "small, good thing" giver to someone out there. Don't just pick one person! Make EVERYONE you encounter feel better because they encountered YOU! Or try. It won't always be possible...

Second, I challenge anyone to daily chronicle their "small, but good things." You might realize what really brings gladness into your life.

P.S. Found this written down for March 1st: Two first graders in the class I was subbing for were having a problem and asked to talk to me outside:
Kid: The problem with our relationship is that we really love each other and our names are written on each other's hearts, but we find it hard to show that..."

No comments: